Monday, December 2, 2013

Rationalizing what's worth the $$

Back in November I went to the Food & Wine Show in Cleveland with Heather and Marla.  It was SO much fun.... a well spent day off with friends.

While we were there, Marla & Heather planned to purchase a pan from a vendor that they purchased a pan from the previous year.  They claim it is "the best pan ever" and they use it EVERYDAY.  When we approached the vendor, we got what we expected .... the sales pitch to purchase the entire set.  I don't really remember what the original set was but by the time he was finished I think there were 7 pans in total ... plus some plastic utensils.  We was pushing all three of us to purchase the set.

Now to the point of this entry - the price for the set of pans was $700.00, which when you break it down by the number of pans isn't bad.  I needed new pans and Justin and I had been talking about buying a new set.  I had trouble rationalize spending $700.00 on pots & pans....even though it's something I would use everyday. It seemed like a lot of money to spend on pots & pans and before the holidays.  I struggled with the decision to purchase them or not.

Now, like I said earlier, Marla & Heather attested that they were great pans and they used the one they purchased last year everyday ... and Marla spends about 4 hours a day in her kitchen cooking (God love ya Marla) ... so if I was going to take a recommendation from anyone is would be them.  

The funny thing is, I would have no hesitation spending $700.00 in the Coach store or at one of my favorite clothing stores purchasing material items.  I also spent close to that on other stuff at the food show that I really didn't need.  I find myself coming back to this internal struggle I had with myself thinking - why did I need to talk myself into this purchase??

After calling Justin for his opinion - which was if they would make me happy then buy them :-) I purchased the set of pans ..... and boy am I glad I did!!  I have had a few different pan sets over the years and this set is by far the best!  I use the pans everyday ... and I don't need to put them in the dishwasher.  They wipe clean no matter what I make.  I made grits for Justin for breakfast and they wiped right out of the pan.  With my old pots and pans I would have had to soak the pan for days to get them off the bottom.  Oh and water boils in them in no time - it's amazing!!

I would like to thank Heather and Marla for going to that booth.  Not only do the pots and pans make my clean up easier and faster, I enjoy cooking more with them.  I had such a great time at the show - we will have to do it again next year!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  

Live ~ Laugh ~ Love

j~

No comments:

Post a Comment